Each of us has different point of view on every job. Some people believe that the main duty of a secretary is to cook coffee (and to look good :)), while others believe she should manage the entire office.
However, what to say if the interviewers ask you about your main duty as a medical assistant? What should you say?
Summarize it nicely
I can list here many typical duties of medical assistants. For example:
- Scheduling appointments and greeting visitors of the office
- Composing dictated letters from the physician, either on a typewriting machine or on a computer
- Completion and submission of insurance forms
- Handling telephone and mail and email
- Patient’s charts typed up
- Updating of medical records of patients
- Assisting during physical examinations
- Maintaining instruments and treatment rooms in good conditions, sometimes also cleaning
Clinical assistants may also:
- Perform ECG’s and similar tests
- Obtain vital signs from a patient
- Be responsible for phlebotomy
- Take part in lab procedures
However, interviewers want to hear something else from you. It’s good to know your duties, but it is not a great answer to their question. You should understand your main duty as a medical assistant, this mission, a primary goal. And it is the following one:
Medical assistant should assist the physician with performing all his daily duties.
This is an answer you should use in the interview. Once you understand it and stick to it, you will always know what to do in job. Of course, you can elaborate on it with the list of MA duties.
Do not forget that physicians and assistants spend a lot of time together. Therefor, a good medical assistant should support a physician also mentally, for example on a bad day or when patients act inappropriately. Excellent medical assistant should be a good companion.
- If a patient accused you of bad service, what would you do?
- How did you deal with situation when you were overwhelmed with work?